Guest lecturers at a college are usually experts or well-known in their field of expertise. In today’s educational scenario, hoarding knowledge is the norm which ultimately helps no one. If you know something, then you should share it so that the whole community benefits.
Most educational institutions lay emphasis on making you academically brilliant, but not trendsetters and team players. You have to be prepared for the real life corporate world.
Inviting people from varied streams and top institutions to provide valuable information to students would help them to spruce up their act. They can lend valuable Information from their experiences which would be a real help to the students.
Why Do Colleges need Guest Lecturers? Colleges get guest Lecturers to the campus for diverse reasons.
- A college might invite a successful alumnus to come to their campus and share with students about how they specialize in their field.
- To give advice on general planning for the future, designed to help students prepare for life after college.
- Listening to a guest lecturers and engaging in ensuing discussions can be an invaluable part of college education.
- Guest Lectures are a way of augmenting the students with the latest updates of the Industries and Technical know-how. The students are gifted with knowledge about Industry needs, latest technical appraisals, and channels for higher studies.
- Guest Lecturers should be an important part of the educational experience for all students. They introduce students to real-world life experiences from the position of someone who has been there, done that. Students get the insight and viewpoint of the guest lecturers’ area of expertise.
- A specialized guest lecturer can really make an impact on students. It is easier for them to drive home concepts that are difficult to nail down. Whether you invite software professional, a banker, veteran, policeman, author, professor, nurse, veterinarian, dentist, musician, or lawyer, the students will surely benefit from the experience.
- Hearing new voices offers different points-of-view to students, and also gives them potential resources they can apply in later courses.
- Having a guest lecturer also opens a teacher’s regular lessons to new options. For example, a teacher and the guest can work together to throw questions or even debate topics.
- Having a guest lecturer in your classroom is probably better than when the TV on wheels rolled into your classroom. They’re new, fresh, and always engaging.
- It’s a welcome break from regular teaching for the students. Guest Lecturers can break the monotony. They will have a different manner of speaking at a different pace, may use different teaching aids, and interact differently with the students. Having a new person teach a topic to your class is a nice break for students – and it lends a different point of view.
- Sometimes a guest lecturer can hammer a point home better than a regular professor. Guest Lecturers have the chance to make more of an impact whether it’s from their personal or professional experience.
Author of the blog, Harjeet Kaur is a freelance columnist with Times of India.